Thursday, September 6, 2007

A sparkly new button

The Jamaican public transportation system is quite effective. A lot of people don't have cars, so public rides are the way to get from place to place. It's also quite easy-- we just walk down our road to the main highway in the area and wait. When the bus comes that we want, it stops right there for us. There are an infinite number of bus stops in Jamaica.
The taxis and buses are heavily used vehicles. I caught a glimpse of one of the odometers for a taxi- ~500,000 km- and it was one of the newer looking taxis, though that was perhaps due to the flashy paint job and high decibel sound system. The buses, a modified 15-passenger van of sorts, are run every day of the week and take a beating from the number of passengers and the constant back and forth on the roads. I did notice one button in the bus I took the other day that was in pristine condition. It was next to the heavily used sun visors and driver/passenger reading lights, which were now bare bulbs. The button read, "moon roof" and obviously had never been touched. This made sense given that there was clearly no moon roof in this bus.

3 comments:

Jo said...

Ha - love it. By the way, sorry I keep missing your calls. I now vow to answer every vague and unidentified number that comes to my cell phone. Glad to hear you made it through the strom OK and hope your life has returned to some sort of normalcy. Hope to hear from you soon.

Allison said...

Carrie! I can't believe you've joined the Peace Corp, that's awesome! I was just looking to see if I could find you online, I've lost a lot of people's contact information in the past few years, but I still always remember your birthday on June 10th.
-Allison L. from kindergarten

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys sooooo much!